Old Fashioned Recipe
Old Fashioned is the very definition of a classic cocktail. It consists of alcohol, sugar, water and bitters, which is exactly what was originally seen as a cocktail. Its popularity increased when the TV series Mad Men aired, where the Old Fashioned is the main character Don Draper's favorite drink. The drink can be done in many different ways, but below you will find our recipe is a good starting point.
- 6 cl Whiskey
- 1 cl Simple syrup
- 4 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Recommended whiskey
- Bourbon whiskey
- Rye whiskey
- Pour sugar syrup into a mixing glass. The syrup in this drink is preferably made with cane sugar and with two parts sugar to one part water.
- Add a few dashes of bitters and finally whiskey. Since an Old Fashioned largely consists of whiskey, it is important to choose a type of whiskey and a brand that you like. Some prefer bourbon while some prefer rye whiskey.
- Fill the container with ice and stir the drink until it is really cold. This step is both to cool the drink, but also to add water.
- Strain the drink into an ice-filled glass (preferably with a large piece of ice).
- Garnish with an orange zest that you first squeeze to spray the citrus oils over the drink.
Some people prefer to use a sugar cube instead of sugar syrup. It is possible to get an equally good Old Fashioned in both ways, but we prefer to use syrup because it saves time and you'll always know that the sugar is completely dissolved.
Also, be sure to try it out yourself to find the perfect balance between all the ingredients. It is not necessarily the case that our recipe is what you like the most. All of the ingredients can be adjusted. How long you stir the drink is also worth experimenting with. A common mistake is to not stir the drink enough.
Feel free to tell us below in a comment how you make your Old Fashioned!