Penicillin is a delicious drink with a wonderful taste of smoky whisky, honey and ginger. The cocktail was created in 2005 by Sam Ross at the New York bar Milk & Honey. The name comes from the ingredients that are reminiscent of the well-known home remedies which are said to cure a cold.
- 50 ml Scotch whisky
- 30 ml Lemon juice
- 20 ml Honey
- 5 ml Ginger
- 5 ml Smoky Scotch whisky
- Dilute the honey to a honey water so that it can mix with the other ingredients. Heat 2 parts honey together with 1 part water while stirring.
- Grate the ginger with a grater. Then squeeze the grated ginger so that you get a ginger juice.
- Pour Scotch whiskey into a shaker. This whiskey should not be smoky. The original recipe calls for blended scotch.
- Add lemon juice, honey water and ginger juice.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake until cold.
- Strain into an ice-filled glass.
- Top the drink with a bar spoon (approx. 0.5 cl) of smoky Scotch. Preferably Islay whisky.
- Garnish with a piece of ginger.